- Euphoria: Get the Rush without the Risk
- How to Use the Primordial Sounds of the Chakras for Healing
- Shhhh…it’s time to sleep.
- Become Energized by Tapping into a Source of Long-Lasting Vitality!
- Pratyahara and Mastering the Senses
- Eightfold Examination in Ayurveda
- Darshan Project Video Series: Part 2 – General Approaches
- What the Hell Should We Eat Anyway?
- How to Ask Holistic Health Practitioners the “Right” Questions
- 8 Promises and Benefits of Hatha Yoga
Vata Herbs & Products
If you have a predominant Vata constitution, or Vata dosha is predominant in your current state of imbalance, these are some of our favorite Vata herbs and products to help restore balance.
Vata Massage Oil
- Warming herbs that nourish and ground vata
- Supports vitality and vigor
- Lubricates and supports a vata system
- Promotes calmness and strength
This rejuvenating oil is a synergistic blend of nine herbs, including ashwagandha, bala and passionflower. The certified organic herbs nourish and ground vata, supporting vitality and vigor. Vata Massage Oil is made from a base of organic sesame and olive oils. These oils warm and lubricate the delicate vata system.
Ayurveda highly recommends a daily self-massage to restore calm and provide strength.
Vata Herbs for Digestion: Vata Digest Tablets
- Promotes healthy digestion
- Calms excess vata in the GI tract, promoting intestinal calm and comfort
- Supports proper assimilation and absorption
- Helps maintain regularity
Vata Digest is the classical Ayurvedic formula known as Hingvastak. This vata-soothing combination of herbs supports the entire digestive process and is especially useful for those with vata predominant constitutions or vata digestive imbalances.
Vata is cold, light and dry, qualities that in excess can inhibit proper digestive function and create discomfort. Vata Digest contains herbs that are heating, grounding and oily. They effectively counter the opposing vata qualities, creating balance.
Vata Digest’s heating quality enkindles the digestive fire, stimulates a healthy appetite and helps ensure that nutrients are properly absorbed and assimilated. Its grounding quality helps calm the excessive air movement in the system that is characteristic of vata. The oil quality of the herbs supports the natural lubrication of the intestines, assisting in thorough and healthy elimination.
Vata Herbs for the Mind: Tranquil Mind tablets
- Promotes Mental Calmness and Well-being
- Calms the mind without causing drowsiness
- Supports composure and equanimity
- Enhances sense of peace and well-being
- Pacifies excess vata in the nervous system
Day-to-day stress from a hectic lifestyle may provoke vata in the mind and lead to mental agitation and nervousness. Tranquil Mind is carefully formulated to soothe and calm the nerves without creating dullness or lethargy. This synergistic blend of herbs balances mental activity, releases excess vata and helps maintain a natural state of peace and well-being.
Vata Herbs for Elimination: Triphala tablets
- Balancing Formula for Detoxification & Rejuvenation
- Assists natural internal cleansing
- Gently maintains regularity
- Nourishes and rejuvenates the tissues
- Supports healthy digestion and absorption
- Natural antioxidant
Triphala is recommended and used more than any other Ayurvedic herbal formulation. Popular for its unique ability to gently cleanse and detoxify the system while simultaneously replenishing and nourishing it, this traditional formula supports the proper functions of the digestive, circulatory, respiratory and genitourinary systems.
Translated as “three fruits”, it is composed of the dried fruits of amalaki, bibhitakiand haritaki. Containing five of the six tastes (all but salty), Triphala readily removes excess vata, pitta and kapha from the body, bringing balance and proper functioning to the system. It is commonly taken as a daily supplement to help maintain balance of the doshas.*
Ashwagandha Bala Oil
- Building. Nourishing. Vitalizing.
- Supports strength and energy
- Promotes healthy muscle mass
- Good for the young, elderly, and debilitated
- Supports an active, athletic lifestyle
This vata pacifying oil can be used to nourish and strengthen the muscles. Useful for athletes, those weakened by debility due to old age or illness, and for those with an active lifestyle requiring strength, this oil brings together two Ayurvedic herbs known for their ability to support muscle mass and energy: ashwagandha and bala.
The name “ashwagandha” gives reference to the strength of a horse and is known to rejuvenate both the muscular and nervous systems. “Bala” literally means “strength,” inferring the herb’s potential to build muscle mass and provide energy. Combined in a base of organic sesame oil, these Ayurvedic herbs are a highly rejuvenative duo. This oil can benefit the young and the elderly, groups in which muscle tone is either developing or wasting away and could use support.
Ashwagandha Bala Oil can be incorporated into any therapeutic massage where muscle or fascia may be damaged, debilitated, or in need of restoration.
Brahmi/Gotu Kola liquid extract
- A mental rejuvenative that supports healthy brain and nervous system function
- Supports memory, intelligence and concentration
- Supports proper function of the nervous system
- Promotes healthy skin and hair
Those familiar with “the doctrine of signatures” may not find it surprising that a plant with a leaf that resembles a cerebellum, would have a special affinity for the brain. Brahmi is a renowned mental rejuvenative traditionally used to promote the intellect, enhance mental performance and support proper function of the nervous system. The leaves are highly sattvic (pure, harmonious) and historically have been eaten by yogis to assist in meditation.
Brahmi is said to improve concentration, memory and alertness. It is a natural blood purifier and helps support clear, healthy skin. Brahmi is also famous for promoting healthy, lustrous hair and is often applied as an oil for this purpose. The herb is cooling and relaxing, making it an excellent tonic for pitta. It also calms vata in the mind and reduces excess kapha in the body. A truly amazing herb that lives up to its name, which means “the energy of universal consciousness”.
- A traditional rejuvenative for vata & kapha that promotes vitality & strength.
- Increases energy and vitality
- General adaptogen for combating stress
- Assists in calming the mind and promotes restful sleep
- Supports proper function of the adrenals
Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) is one of the most highly regarded and commonly used adaptogens in the Ayurvedic pharmacopoeia. Maximizing the body’s ability to resist stress, it enables the body to reserve and sustain vital energy throughout the day while promoting sound, restful sleep at night. It is considered one of the best herbs for calming vata and for revitalizing the male reproductive system.
Used by both men and women, it maintains proper nourishment of the tissues, particularly muscle and bone, while supporting proper function of the adrenals. This potent herb is used to promote muscle strength and to support comfortable joint movement. It is also used to maintain potency and a healthy libido, for it is said to bestow upon its user the vitality and strength of a horse. As a rejuvenative, Ashwagandha is particularly useful to seniors and for anyone that would benefit from a nourishing, natural source of energy.
Sleep Easy Oil
- Deep Restful Sleep
- Apply before bed for a night of restful sleep
- Calms the nerves and quiets the mind
- Grounds and pacifies vata
- Soothes and balances pitta
This calming oil brings you powerful Ayurvedic herbs that promote healthy sleep patterns and deep rest and relaxation. Healthy sleep patterns are crucial as they allow the body to restore and rejuvenate while letting the mind process, learn and de-stress. This cooling and soothing formula is intended to be used with the traditional method of head and foot massage at night before going to bed.
Application to the head, temples and soles of the feet helps ground the light and mobile nature of vata and balance the sharp and active nature of pitta, promoting the heavier qualities needed for sleep. The blend is in a base of four organic oils, which come together to bring nourishment, subtle warmth for penetration, and gentle cooling for relaxation. Sleep Easy Oil is then finished with a hint of jasmine and chamomile flowers, bringing soothing scents with ever so mild floral notes. Massage this oil into your head and feet for a rejuvenating night of rest.
Vata Herbs for Joint Health: Yogaraj Guggulu tablets
- Vata Balancing Formula
- Supports comfortable movement of the joints and muscles
- Rejuvenates and strengthens the skeletal and neuromuscular systems
- Promotes healthy elimination of natural toxins
Yogaraj Guggulu is the traditional Ayurvedic formula for balancing vata in the joints, nerves and muscles. It is a powerful detoxifying and rejuvenating combination that has a special affinity for the musculoskeletal system.
Its main ingredients, chitrak, triphala andvidanga are combined with guggulu to remove deep-seated vata from the tissues. They also act to nourish and strengthen the system, supporting the overall health and proper function of the joints, nerves and muscles.
Vata Herbs for Women: Women’s Cycle Nourish tablets
- Balancing Formula for a Scanty (Vata) Menstrual Cycle
- Supports women with occasionally limited or scanty flow
- Nourishing and strengthening for a woman’s reproductive system
- Promotes a regular, monthly cycle
- Supports a comfortable menses experience
Women’s Cycle Nourish is made with traditional Ayurvedic herbs that address the vata type of menstrual cycle, in which a woman’s normal cycle may occasionally experience a limited amount of flow, an interruption in the regularity of the cycle, and aches in the lower abdomen and back. Imbalanced vata has the potential to disturb appropriate downward flow, while also bringing the cold, dry qualities to a woman’s reproductive system and creating cramping type discomfort.
Gokshura helps pacify vata while ashwagandha brings the grounding and rejuvenating qualities that vata needs. Shatavari and vidari provide nourishment for the women’s reproductive system, bringing strength and supporting the body’s natural balance of hormones. This warming and soothing formula helps to ease your discomfort so that you can rest as your body undergoes its natural monthly cleansing ritual.
Daily Routine Kit
The Daily Routine Kit provides you with the basic supplies you need to kickstart your Ayurvedic daily routine:
- Daily Massage Oil (4oz.): Daily Massage Oil is formulated to balance all three doshas: vata, pitta, and kapha. The base uses both warming and cooling oils to allow the oil to have a simultaneous penetrating and soothing effect.
- Triphala tablets: This formula contains three of the most important Ayurvedic herbs for detoxification and rejuvenation. Made from the powder of three superfruits, Triphala promotes healthy elimination while also replenishing the tissues and supporting your immune system.
- Tongue Cleaner: According to Ayurveda, cleaning the tongue is an important part of the daily oral hygiene routine, along with regular brushing and flossing of the teeth. Gently scraping the tongue with a tongue cleaner can effectively reduce the bacteria in the mouth that cause bad breath.
- Nasya Oil (1oz.): Nasya Oil soothes and protects the nasal passages and helps relieve sinus congestion. Daily nasal lubrication helps to release tension in the head and relieve accumulated stress. Balancing for vata, pitta, and kapha, Nasya Oil is also traditionally said to improve quality of voice, strengthen vision and promote mental clarity.
Ginger (Fresh) liquid extract
- Supports overall health, wellness and comfort
- Promotes digestion and the elimination of natural toxins
- Supports proper function of the lungs and healthy, comfortable breathing
- Supports a comfortable post meal experience
- Promotes comfortable menstruation
Ginger is known as ‘the universal medicine’ for its broad range of health promoting benefits. One of the three pungent herbs in the traditional formula Trikatu (Kapha Digest), ginger warms the body and reduces kapha and vata. It supports healthy circulation, vasodilation and promotes sweating. A heating spice, ginger enkindles the digestive fire, burns ama (natural toxins) and supports post meal abdominal comfort.
Ginger promotes healthy expectoration and removes excess kapha from the lungs. It supports comfortable movement of the joints and is found in many traditional Ayurvedic joint health formulas including Kaishore Guggulu and Yogaraj Guggulu. Ginger also promotes comfort during menstruation and stomach comfort during motion intensive travel.
- Digestion formula for vata
- Promotes healthy digestion
- Calms excess vata in the GI tract promoting intestinal calm and comfort
- Supports proper assimilation and absorption
- Helps maintain regularity
This vata-soothing combination of herbs supports the entire digestive process and is especially useful for those with vata predominant constitutions or vata digestive imbalances. Vata is cold, light and dry, qualities that in excess can inhibit proper digestive function and create discomfort. Hingvastak contains herbs that are heating, grounding and oily. They effectively counter the opposing vata qualities creating balance.
Hingvastak’s heating quality enkindles the digestive fire, stimulates a healthy appetite and helps ensure nutrients are properly absorbed and assimilated. Its grounding quality helps calm the excessive air movement in the system that is characteristic of vata. The oil quality of the herbs supports the natural lubrication of the intestines assisting in thorough and healthy elimination.
- Rejuvenative for vata & pitta that promotes vitality and strength
- Nourishing tonic for men and women
- Maintains a healthy female reproductive system
- Supports healthy lactation
- Promotes fertility and a healthy libido
Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) is a rejuvenating herb that cools the body and strengthens and nourishes the tissues. Traditionally used to maintain the healthy production of female hormones, Shatavari may be translated as “100 spouses,” implying its role in promoting fertility and vitality. As a nutritive tonic it encourages the healthy production of milk in lactating mothers and the healthy production of semen in would be fathers. It is also useful during menopause and for women who have had hysterectomies.
Shatavari supports a healthy immune system and assists in both physical and mental digestion. Its unctuous quality soothes and nurtures membranes of the lungs, stomach, kidneys and reproductive organs. Sattvic (pure, harmonious) in nature, Shatavari calms the mind and promotes love and devotion.
- With Shatavari & Rose Geranium
- Firms and rejuvenates the tissues
- Moisturizes and softens the skin
- Assists in gentle detoxification
- Supports breast health
Our award-winning Beauty Balm isn’t just about looking beautiful—it is also about deep nourishment that helps you feel beautiful from the outside-in. It might surprise you to find that ghee provides a base for this nutrient- and moisture-rich balm.
According to Ayurvedic tradition, external use of ghee supports soft, supple skin by effectively helping to balance your skin’s moisture levels. Shatavari and ashwagandha are infused into this versatile formulation to tone, nourish, and rejuvenate the tissues.
Beauty Balm can be your go-to balm for any body part that needs to be immersed in and protected by moisture. It is often used as a skin cream, eye cream, moisturizer for dry and aging skin, hand cream, lip balm, elbow and knee moisturizer, nail and cuticle cream, and as a deep moisturizer for the feet and heels. Saturate your skin and give your unique beauty the opportunity to glow brightly!