- How to transition from your Ayurvedic spring cleanse
- Thyroid Autoimmune Disorders: An Ayurvedic Perspective
- Ayurveda helps us understand that “all life is yoga”
- The Power of Being Gentle: An Easy Ayurvedic Spring Cleanse
- The Problem with the Paleo Diet
- Golden Milk – Recipe to Balance All Doshas
- 8 Tips for a Healthy Spring Diet
- Can Ayurveda Help Treat Kidney Failure?
- Want Gorgeous, Luscious Locks? DIY Ayurvedic Hair Care
- 8 Step Ayurvedic Morning Ritual
Relieve Stress and Revitalize Your Energy: Ayurvedic Self-Massage (Energy Feed #5)
The most immediate, effective remedy for stress-induced anxiety that I know is also an excellent preventative against it.
If you’re serious about relieving the symptoms of stress in your body, you need to give yourself 15 minutes a day to do it.
This is an Ayurvedic practice known as abhyanga—a self-anointment and self-massage using warm oil. Today’s Energy Feed is a no-fuss introduction to it.
How to Nourish Your Nervous System with Self-Massage
Choose the appropriate organic, cold-pressed oil for yourself. Which oil to use?
- If you run dry: untoasted sesame oil.
- If you run warm or have sensitive skin: coconut or jojoba oil.
- If you run oily or easily retain water: mustard or sunflower oil.
Warm your oil. Pour some of the oil into a glass jar or bottle. Boil some water. Place your glass jar or bottle into a bowl of hot water. This will warm the oil to the correct temperature without degrading its nourishing qualities.
Massage from the head down to the toes. Use circular motions over the joints and abdomen. Make long strokes over the limbs and torso. Offer extra attention to any tense areas in your body.
Leave the oil on for 10 minutes.
Sauna and/or take a warm shower to release the oil and rinse it away.
Two Keys to this Massage
To effectively soothe the symptoms of stress in your body, it’s important you:
- Use a gentle, firm touch throughout the whole massage.
- Keep a consistent rhythm. If you need to count (for example, 12 circles or strokes per body part) to keep a rhythm, do that!
This perfect practice in self-care offers many benefits. Watch the full Energy Feed video above to find out how and why it works! And subscribe to my video channel to keep learning this kind of practical Ayurveda advice to have more energy every day…