- Beat the Heat with Cooling Yoga Poses
- Stop Feeling Blue: Ayurveda for Depression
- The Belch Diet: Eating the Perfect Amount at Every Meal
- Balance Your Life with Alternate Nostril Breathing
- Discover the Food Combining Secrets of Ayurveda and Radiate Health
- 3 Flavors of Menopause – Which Menopause Type Are You?
- Cooling Tea Recipes- So You’re Not a Monster this Summer
- How to Make Your Love Life Sizzling Hot
- Interview with a Vedic Scholar: Dr. David Frawley
- 7 Essential Ayurvedic Tips for Stress Reduction
Rainy Day Nourishing Ayurvedic Diet
A nourishing Ayurvedic diet can do wonders for the body, mind and soul. Whether it was raining outside or the mood is gloomy, my father recommended to eat ‘Mung khichadi’ and drink ‘Golden Milk’.
He called them ‘Ayurvedic Comfort food.’
You see, my father was an Ayurvedic physician who was also trained in modern medicine.
Often on rainy nights we would eat a nourishing Ayurvedic diet of Mung Khichadi with a spoonful of ghee, followed by warm, golden Honey-Turmeric-Saffron milk.
My father explained that:
Mung Khichadi with ghee is easy to digest, warm and nourishing.
While Golden Milk is calming and uplifting.
How to Prepare A Nourishing Ayurvedic Diet-
- One cup Basamati Rice
- One cup (or half cup if you are Vata type) yellow mung beans
- 1T grated fresh ginger
- 1T lemon/lime juice
- ½ t ground cinnamon
- ½ t ground cloves
- 1T whole black peppers
- 1T whole cumin seeds
- 1t ground turmeric powder
- 1T Ghee (clarified butter)
- a few fresh curry leaves (optional)
- ¼t ground asofoetida (hing)
- ½t fenugreek (methi) seeds (optional)
- Salt to taste
Rinse rice and Mung dahl thoroughly and soak for fifteen-twenty minutes. In a medium saucepan, heat ghee and add all the spices (cumin seeds first) except turmeric. Saute the spices then add Turmeric. Add rice and mung daal. Saute well. Add six cups of water, salt and cook well to thick soupy consistency. (If you need more watery consistency- add more water). After cooking, add lemon/lime juice and stir lightly to mix.
Serve hot with 1T Ghee and lemon/lime slice if desired.
Note: One can add spinach, cilantro, green beans or peas to the basic khichadi while cooking.
Uses: Good for coughs, colds and uplifting
- One cup organic Milk or Almond/Coconut milk
- 1T turmeric
- a few flakes of Saffron
- ¼t cardamom
- 1T honey (optional)
Mix all the spices in milk and in a small saucepan bring the milk to boil. Let cool a bit and drink warm. If desired, add a spoonful of honey or jaggary/brown sugar to sweeten. A goodnight sleep is guaranteed!
Everything looks brighter after a good night’s sleep!