- What Every Woman Needs to Know About PMS
- Little Known Natural Ways to Relieve Joint Pain
- How to Use Greens for Optimal Digestion
- MonicaB Challenge: Mindful Munching
- 6 Ayurvedic Reasons to Celebrate with Chocolate
- 5 Ayurvedic Tips for Healthy Skin
- Yogic Psychology and the Effects of Meditation
- Tea for your Psychic Bugs: A Slippery Elm Prebiotic Tea Formula
- Balance Your Life with Alternate Nostril Breathing
- The Skin: Our Second Digestive System
Understanding and Communicating Qualifications
When we are clear about what qualifications really matter to our clients, then we will feel confident and communicate value clearly and professionally. Our clients will hear us and see us as experts in our niche and view our programs and services as the exact thing they need to overcome their challenges and achieve their desired results.
However, when we’re not clear about the qualifications that really matter to our clients, then we perpetually compare ourselves to more experienced teachers and practitioners. We imagine that we need far more education, training, and experience before we can actually be of service. We don’t communicate value clearly or professionally, and so we are not seen as experts in our niche and people do not see how our programs and services could help them.
The Importance of Credentials
What really matters to our prospective clients when it comes to their decision to work with us or not? Is it the years we’ve spent in school? Is it the letters before or after our name?
These things can definitely provide some credibility, and the title “Doctor” carries some authority that can facilitate trust and confidence. But our years in school and the titles we’ve accumulated do not guarantee that we can help our clients overcome their challenges and achieve their desired results.
Our credentials are primarily important to us, not our clients. Our theoretical framework and understanding of imbalance and harmony and the behaviors and consciousness that lead to health or disease gives us an understanding of how to heal ourselves, and then how to help our clients.
Our clients are concerned first and foremost with our ability to help them. Our ability to first demonstrate results in our own lives, and then our track record of helping other people who are like them is infinitely more relevant and important than our title.
Since we’re focused on supporting our clients’ health and consciousness, we need to demonstrate some health and consciousness in our own lives. We shouldn’t think that we need to be perfect, but we do need some commitment to our path. We need to have some energy, and look and feel naturally healthy for our age and circumstances. We need to be willing to look at and address any chronic psychological and emotional stress in our lives as well, and be willing to find help and support.
Without that, our credibility and integrity will be compromised. This is the most important qualification for ourselves and for our clients’ decision to work with us. Since we often pick a niche where we have experience ourselves, our personal story and stories about the results other people have gotten working with us are the most powerful ways to communicate our qualifications to our market.
How to Tell Your Story
Here’s a way to tell your story that communicates your qualifications and ability to help your clients get results:
- When were you where they are now? Describe what was happening for you with your health and how it was impacting your life and how you felt.
- What did you try that didn’t work? Talk about your attempts and failures at addressing the problem.
- What was your “aha” moment? Tell what you learned or discovered that was the changing point for you.
- How did you get consistent results? Reveal the behaviors you changed and the system you developed to get them to stick.
- Share how you’ve helped other people like them get consistent results with this system too (or how you’ve seen other people make these changes and get consistent results).
- Tell them about your commitment to share this system with them so they can overcome these challenges and get these results for themselves.
Take Action: Qualifications Story
Now take a moment to craft your own qualifications story.
You’ll be able to tell your story in conversations, presentations, and in your marketing communications. Your story will serve to build credibility with your market, inspire them to take new actions in their lives, and most importantly, start working with you.