- 5 Tips to Feel Great after Thanksgiving Dinner
- Mellow the Holiday Madness with Nutmeg
- 5 Easy Practices to Cool Excess Pitta
- Avoid Black Friday Frenzy: Here’s Your Ayurveda Gift-Giving Guide
- Recipe: Glazed Sweet and Spicy Pecans
- 10 Ways to Increase Your Immunity
- Stress or Ease? You Choose.
- How to Not Get Sick and Fat This Winter
- Ayurveda Basics: Qualities of Pitta
- 6 Ways to Ease the Symptoms of Menopause
Learn Ayurvedic Pulse Reading Online
Ayurvedic Pulse Reading eCourse (Online)
The pulse is the heart – the center of circulation for the entire body and, according to Ayurveda, the seat of pure consciousness. When we take a pulse, we are listening deeply to the heart and, from there, all of the body systems and tissues.
Taking a pulse is, at its core, a process of deep listening.
Pulse reading has been an integral part of traditional approaches to medicine for thousands of years. I learned Ayurvedic pulse reading during my studies in India, where reading a pulse is regarded not only as a diagnostic and therapeutic technique, but a technique for self-discovery as well.
As you will learn throughout this course, there are many layers to the pulse, and by learning to distinguish between these layers we develop the ability to detect the location of imbalances in the system.
To me, the most exciting facet of pulse reading is its ability to help us get in touch with and know ourselves better. Much of the time, we are going about our lives out of touch with what is going on in the deepest layers of our being. We rarely slow down enough to have a direct experience of the connection between our consciousness and the physical manifestations we experience as symptoms.
Learning to take your own pulse has the potential to bridge that gap.
The body needs two things to heal: prana – which is energy – and awareness. Taking a pulse generates both of these. By listening deeply to the body, we help the body become aware of itself. Once that awareness is there, the body begins to recognize any problems in the system as such and, miraculously (or, quite naturally), begins to heal itself.
Amazingly, this process is said to be even more beneficial for the pulse taker than the patient.
I learned pulse reading over the course of one and a half years in India. My teacher had been traveling around India and using the pulse as his principal form of diagnosis for generations.
Since then, I’ve read the pulses of over 100,000 patients, taught pulse reading to over 5000 students, including 2000 medical doctors.
Currently, I am blessed to have the opportunity to teach this pulse reading course at two Ayurvedic colleges in the USA – Kripalu and Mt. Madonna. With the release of this online course, I hope to make this beautiful and deeply healing technique available to anyone who wants to learn it.
Ultimately, this course will teach you how to determine an imbalance in your pulse, as well as how to identify the systems and tissues of the body that may be affected by the imbalance.
Along the way, you will learn how to feel for pulse changes based on the seasons, times of day, activities throughout the day, and what these changes are telling you about how your body responds to these changes.
You will learn how to diagnose imbalances and digestive issues, and design therapies based on these pulse readings.
You will also be immersed in the basic principles of Ayurveda, which are the building blocks of this powerful healing science that you will be able to build on with further studies through LifeSpa courses, and on your own.
Most importantly, the pulse becomes an invaluable skill for self-awareness and self-healing. Ayurveda is about removing the imbalance or density of the physical to enhance self-awareness and make deep mental and emotional changes. Pulse reading is one of the best self-awareness techniques for personal growth.
Over the years, I’ve developed an approach to learning the pulse which covers an enormous amount of ground in a short period of time, relaying the larger portion of my pulse reading knowledge in a complete and holistic way in just ten weeks. Over the course of these ten weeks, you will receive a weekly mixed-media lesson, including:
- a written lesson
- audio (streamable from your computer or downloadable to your mp3 player)
- PDF handouts to print out and keep
- Introduction to Pulse Reading: How to place the fingers on the pulse
- Basic Principles of Ayurveda
- Week One Lesson: Learn to feel, identify, and record the qualities of vata, pitta, and kapha in the pulse
- Week Two Lesson: Recognize the difference between the superficial and deep pulse
- Week Three Lesson: Determine your body type
- Week Four Lesson: Track time of day and seasonal changes in the pulse
- Week Five Lesson: Use the pulse to initiate a healing response
- Week Six Lesson: Learn to read meal-time changes in the pulse
- Week Seven Lesson: Learn how to determine a balanced and imbalanced pulse
- Week Eight Lesson: Learn to feel the sub-doshas
- Week Nine Lessons:
Part I: Learn the interactions of the sub-doshas
Part II: The priority system of the pulse
Bonus Lesson: Feeling the dhatu agnis in the pulse
- Week Ten Lesson: Ayurvedic treatments for each sub-dosha
Note: Though this course does include within its scope Ayurvedic treatments for certain imbalances which you will learn to feel in the pulse, reliably using pulse reading as a principal diagnostic tool requires years of practice. This course does not administer certificates.
One to two hours per week to study the week’s lesson, which includes an audio, video, written lesson, and PDF handouts.
In addition, you will be asked to read your own pulse 10-20 times per day, every day of the course. Each reading should take about 1-2 minutes.
This course will give you an opportunity to pause, breathe and become aware of your pulse, which itself can become a vehicle for healing and stress relief.
Although not required, it is highly recommended that you have an introductory knowledge of Ayurveda. This will make it faster and easier for you to dive into the course. The 28-Day Ayurveda Challenge is a wonderful way to not only get acquainted with the principles of Ayurveda, but to incorporate them into your daily life.
How to Sign Up
- The Ayurvedic Pulse Reading Course will be delivered to you once a week over a ten week period.
- Once you sign up, you will receive a confirmation email with a link to our private course membership site, where the first lesson will become available to you.
- Each week you will receive a reminder email with a summary of that week’s lesson, the homework for the following week, and a link to the complete lesson on the private membership site.
Note: The homework given is for your personal practice and refinement of the concepts discussed in the lessons, and should not be submitted to LifeSpa for approval or grading.
If you wish to pause the course at any time, you may do so and continue where you left off, at your convenience.
You will have access to the course content for years to come.