- How to transition from your Ayurvedic spring cleanse
- Thyroid Autoimmune Disorders: An Ayurvedic Perspective
- Ayurveda helps us understand that “all life is yoga”
- The Power of Being Gentle: An Easy Ayurvedic Spring Cleanse
- The Problem with the Paleo Diet
- Golden Milk – Recipe to Balance All Doshas
- 8 Tips for a Healthy Spring Diet
- Can Ayurveda Help Treat Kidney Failure?
- Want Gorgeous, Luscious Locks? DIY Ayurvedic Hair Care
- 8 Step Ayurvedic Morning Ritual
Can Ayurveda Help Treat Kidney Failure?
Kidney failure is also known as renal insufficiency. It is a disorder in which a person’s kidneys suddenly become incapable of removing waste products and toxins from the blood.
The kidneys lose their ability to eliminate unwanted materials and help balance fluids, electrolytes and control production of red blood cells in the body. These problems occur instantaneously and within a small period of time. The symptoms are difficult to identify.
An artificial procedure–kidney dialysis–is implemented to perform all the functions that was done naturally by the kidneys. Kidney dialysis expels harmful toxins from the bloodstream and maintains a proper level of beneficial fluids and enzymes in the body.
There are treatments for kidney failure in Ayurveda with successful results.
Causes of Kidney Failure:
- Reduced flow of blood to the kidneys
- Acute dehydration
- Chronic burns
- Liver malfunction
- Heart diseases
- Intake of medicines for controlling blood pressure
- Prolonged use of antibiotics and painkillers
- Blood loss from the body
- Any type of infection
- Kidneys injured due to physical damage
- When the urine drainage tube gets blocked. This blockage leads to difficulties in elimination of wastes products from the body in the form of urine.
Symptoms of Kidney Failure:
- A person experiences change in taste. One feels metallic taste or ammonia smell in the breath.
- Reluctance to consume protein rich foods such as kidney beans, oats, meat, eggs, dairy products
- Shivering sensation
- Increased or decreased urination
- Observing blood in the urine
- Urine has foams or bubbles due to protein in it
- Nausea or vomiting
- Mental confusion
- Difficulty while concentrating
- Loss of appetite
- Pain in body and itching problems
- Shortened breath
- Swelling in facial region, arms and legs
Herbs for Kidney Failure:
Ayurveda explains many herbal treatments for kidney failure. Although there is no satisfactory treatment in allopathic science other than dialysis and kidney transplant, Ayurveda has a lot of herbs for kidney failure which work quite well. Let’s have a look on important few.
Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa)
Due to its anti-inflammatory nature it is considered good for treating kidney failure. It cures swelling in the feet and around the joints effectively. It reduces accumulation of fluid in the feet region and improves appetite.
This beautiful herb Punarnava helps to boost balanced fluid levels in the cells to aid in healthy urine flow. Regular use of this herb revitalizes the whole body.
Kaasni (Cichorium intybus)
Kaasni is the best remedy for all kinds of kidney disorders. It is also recommended to heal respiratory problems. It prevents chronic constipation and increases hemoglobin. It is a rich source of Vitamin A and improves eyesight. It is the best herb to deal with kidney failure complications related to respiratory system. It acts very well as an anti-inflammatory.
Varun (Crataeva nurvala)
The powerful effect of varun cures kidney failure from its root. It provides strength to the urinary tract and prostate function. This herb is effective in treatment of chronic migraines, kidney stones, intestinal worms, intestinal bleeding, renal calculi and more.
Lupeol present in varun deactivates the enzyme glycolate oxidase and reduces the body’s construction of oxalate, which (combining with calcium) forms kidney stones.
Gokshur (Tribulus terrestris)
Gokshur gives remarkable relief from all kinds of urinary problems related to kidney failure. It also helps in successful curing of renal infections and chronic urinary discharges. It enhances a person’s immunity power and capability to fight against foreign bodies effectively.
Palaash (Butea monosperma)
Palaash is the best Ayurvedic herb for functioning of kidneys. It boosts low liver function, which can be the cause for kidney failure. It acts as an antiseptic and helps one to get rid of intestinal infections, worm infestations, intestinal parasites, etc. Thus, it is beneficial in eradicating symptoms of kidney failure.
Palaash leaves are very useful in successfully healing diarrhea, cold, dysentery and sore throat. It efficiently controls diabetes by reducing blood sugar. It is a great remedy for bones and fractures.
Rakt Chandan (Pterocarpus santalinus)
Raky Chandan gives a person relief from several kinds of serious infections. It heals wounds and prevents bleeding. This makes it beneficial for people suffering from kidney failure. This herb has been known for its medicinal and cosmetic uses. It works well for any type of skin problems, acne, infections and wounds.
Home Remedies for Kidney Failure:
- Keep yourself hydrated throughout the day. But in end stage or so, fluid intake has to be limited to avoid extra burden on kidneys. Water has unique dissolving properties that dilute the urine, and this dilution prevents the formation of clusters of minerals and salts (stones) in the body.
- Eat less non-vegetarian food. Non-vegetarian food has a high amount of animal protein, which can increase the formation of kidney stones in the body and puts pressure on organs. It has been found that people who eat vegetarian foods are less prone to the risk of kidney failure than ones who eat non-vegetarian food. So, encourage consumption of vegetarian diet.
- Prefer herbal tea. Nettle leaf tea is the best for kidney patients. Tea prepared of coriander, thyme and fennel seeds is the best home remedy for nausea and vomiting, which is a very common complication in kidney failure.
- Boiled diet is highly recommended, or make use of olive oil in cooking.
- Eat less at a time and avoid taking 2 to 3 heavy meals in a day.
- One can have cauliflower, ash gourd, radish, bottle gourd, bell peppers, apples, papaya, pears, etc.
- Limit the intake of dried beans, mushroom, potatoes, spinach, mushrooms, apricots, etc.
- Limit the intake of all dairy products.
- Avoid or limit the intake of protein and potassium-rich fruits and other foods,so exclude all citrus fruits.
- Coconut water and aloe vera are good to have to detoxify the body.
- Basil or Tulsi is good to have to enhance immune system. Chew fresh leaves of basil every morning on an empty stomach.
- Say no to smoking. Smoking harms and damages kidneys. So for good health of kidneys, one should quit smoking and chewing tobacco.