- Eat, Sleep, Love: 3 Pillars of Ayurveda Wellness
- Does Ayahuasca Have a Place in Ayurveda?
- Toxic Lipstick Makes Toxic A$# Fat- Natural Cosmetics, Not Just for Your Lips
- Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia: An Ayurvedic Perspective
- Ready to Convert Negative Habits into Healthy Rituals?
- Lose the Joint Pain with Pomegranates
- Genetics in Āyurveda: Creating the Perfect Child
- Does Modern Medicine Have it all Wrong? A Real Menopausal Treatment Plan
- Tired of Feeling Blah? 11 Ways to Be Happier, Naturally
- Fatigued and Foggy Minded? It Could be your Thyroid Hormones
What Causes 90% of All Disease?
Last week I asked, “What causes 90% of all disease?” I received great participation with varying answers. Some of the most common guesses were stress, inflammation, bad diet, ama/toxins, mal-functioning agni/digestion, and our busy minds.
The answer? Mal-functioning agni (digestive fire).
Let me point out that all the other answers are not wrong. Everything is connected, right? All those other things actually contribute to mal-functioning digestion.
Even in modern medicine, stress is the number one cause for disease and death. The reason being that stress causes so many other problems! When we are stressed, we are not digesting our food properly because the body is busy trying to keep your mind calm. For example, when something traumatic happens, like, let’s say you break up in a relationship, or learn that someone you love just passed away. Don’t you feel sick to your stomach, like, punched in the gut?
That’s a signal. It’s like we instantly feel so sick we can’t eat. Our mind tells the body, “Everything’s on pause. I have to tend to these emotions because we are under high stress and sadness. I cannot process food right now.”
Now, those are extreme examples but if we are under even a fraction of that kind of stress daily, our body responds the SAME way. Our agni doesn’t work right, foods don’t get digested, and we accumulate ama. Ama will cause even more mal-digestion. And so it goes like that for years sometimes.
The best thing you can do for your health is keep that mighty agni STRONG, eat the right foods for who you are and follow the nutritional guidelines.
Don’t forget to eat HAPPY. If we are rushed, angry, upset, sad, worried, etc., we are not going to digest our food well. Emotions matter in everything we do!
Do it with love and you will not go wrong. XO!
PS- Check out the HeyMonicaB facebook page, sometimes I like to do Ayurvedic quizzes!